Toca Mini | painting & creating funny and crazy dolls with the new Toca Boca app
✔ iPad + iPhone ✔ Android ✔ Kindle Fire kids app
The Swedish app developer Toca Boca have been really busy publishing another new kids app, just before the year ends, straight after the release of their latest app “Toca Cars”. Their brand new app: Toca Mini, which we want to introduce to you today.
This time, it’s all about being creative, because Toca Mini is a special painting game, where kids can paint and create their own animated doll. Sounds a bit odd and so it is in a positive way.
Whilst the choice of colors is rather big, we’re kind of instantly missing different drawing equipments and also found the first downside of this app. The mini is in fact not painted and colored freely with a paintbrush, it is rather differently colored in, sort of simultaneously dyed in a circular 3D way.
Unfortunately this does not only come with advantages. Although toddlers can even color the 6 body parts quickly and create beautiful circular patterns, it is not possible e.g. to draw single hairs.
You therefore have various stamps to choose from, which you can use for all shapes except the so called circular shapes. The stamps are easy to use for simply decorating the mini, but they’re not suitable for creating hairs and hairstyles, which is why most dolls were left bold, as kids got easily frustrated.
Toca Boca seems to have purposely saved on producing more various blank dolls. It is always the same shape and so it strongly depends on the kids creativity and imagination, as to how differently they paint and make their Minis look, with the one and only identical basic doll shape.
In our YouTube trailer you can have a look at all the different Minis that we we have quickly created: A bee is transformed into a pig, which then becomes a Ninja. As simple as the dolls were colored in by us, it still illustrates the range of possibilities of this app.
The app is good, but only half as good as it possibly could be.
1. The design of the more complicated Minis as they are nicely demonstrated on the main screen, do seem to be rather difficult and challenging for kids to copy or create by themselves. It is really fascinating to see what kind of ideas children come up with – but all that kids get as a keepsake is a souvenir photo. It is not possible to save their work!
2. The dolls are presented in a cardboard box, which can also be decorated a little. If you want to start on a new Mini, you get to see a short 3D animation, where the box closes with the already designed doll and disappears into nowhere – it would therefore be much nicer, if the box could be saved somewhere and be re-opened or brought back up from somewhere. The box is definitely predestined for this.
3. The reactions of the Minis are rather boring – we would have liked a lot more reactions.
4. Once the doll has been completely painted, it is not possible to interact or play with it. Kids love and try to tickle the dolls, just like it is possible in other kids apps, but only the drawing mode opens again.
5. We would have also liked to have seen a lot more and different blank Minis, especially as two legs can never be painted and turned into a dress etc.
Again we can only come to a mixed conclusion. Lots of different things are missing and most of all one thing: How can Toca Boca forget a saving function for the created Minis? This is physically impossible!
Hello Toca Boca – perhaps you take a look at the Bamba Toys app – where you can save the finished dolls on a toys shelf!
We’re demanding an update – until then, we’ll rate this app with at most 4 stars. Unfortunately, Toca Boca hardly ever attends to our users wishes – this may also be criticized at this point. Smaller app developers are sometimes much more interested in the parents and childrens wishes and interests, rather than worldwide known studios such as Toca Boca.
Top best apps for kids rating: 4 stars
Download Toca Mini
➔ App download for – iPad & iPhone on Apple App Store
➔ App download for – Android on Google App Store
➔ App download for – Kindle Fire & Android on Amazon App Store
kids app developer: Toca Boca AB